About HK Data
- The HK archive consists of a single volume data set.
- The archive volume contains all of the engineering data from the Huygens Probe. It also includes calibration reports and instrument documentation.
2. Directory and File Naming
The HK archive data volume contains the following directories:
- CALIB - The calibration directory contains a calibration report on the Huygens radar altitude, and four files (along with their associated label files) describing the calibration of the engineering parameters.
- CATALOG - The catalog directory contains general information about the data set, including information about the instruments and their calibration, personnel involved, and references.
- DATA - The data directory contains the in-flight probe engineering data, including the check-out data and the mission data.
- DOCUMENT - The documentation directory contains important HK documents and the Probe health report. See below for more details.
- EXTRAS - The extras directory contains the complete set of engineering parameters recorded. In all, there are roughly 1600 engineering parameters that were recorded. The 217 most useful of these are archived in the DATA directory, but the entire data set is stored in its original form in the EXTRAS directory.
- INDEX - The index directory contains the archive index for the entire data volume.
There is no software provided with the HK dataset. The data
are in ASCII table format and are readable by a variety of plotting software
The HK data files follow the naming conventions:
- The SUBSYSTEM represents the Command and Data Management Subsystems (CDMS), Support Avionics Software (SASW), Probe Onboard Software (POSW), Probe Data Relay Subsystem (PDRS), Electrical Power Subsystem (EPSS), or Experiments (EXP).
- The SUBSUBSYSTEM field can be one of 18 entries corresponding to physical states of the individual instruments or the Probe itself.
- The PARAMETER NAME field is the name of the individual parameter that was recorded. It is described in each LBL (label) file that accompanies each data file.
More details about the file naming convention can be found in the EAICD (see below) or the DATASET.CAT file in the CATALOG directory.
- Users are strongly encouraged to review the HK AAREADME.TXT file.
This file appears in the root directory of the HK volume.
- Further details of the HK archive volume can be found in the
"Experimenter to Archive Interface Control Document" (EACID) Document, which is found in the DOCUMENT directory on the data volume.
- A very detailed description of the instrument can be found in the
Huygens User Manual, which is also in the DOCUMENT directory on
the data volume. Discussion of the engineering parameters can be
found in the documents: PERFORMANCES_ANALYSIS_2005.PDF and POST_FLIGHT_ANALYSIS_2006.PDF in the directory:
DOCUMENT/INDUSTRY_DOCUMENTS. An overview of the parameters is given
in OVERVIEW.TXT in the DOCUMENT directory.
Atmospheres Node Home