Cover Page/Proposal Summary*
All proposals must be prefaced by an integrated Cover
Page/Proposal Summary that contains important, required
information (see below). This item is produced by first
entering the requested information electronically through a World Wide
Web site (specified in the cover letter) and then printing out this
form by the proposer (note: a point of contact is also
identified for any proposer without access to the Web or who
experiences difficulty in using the specified site). The printed copy
of the electronically submitted form is then used to obtain
original signatures of the PI and an official
from the proposing institution to submit with the
original copy of the proposal. In addition,
reproductions of this original Cover Page/Proposal
Summary are used to preface the required printed copies of the
Upon accessing the specified Web site, at least
the following information for the Cover Page will be
- Alpha-numeric identifier of this NRA and full name of NASA Research Announcement (note: these may already be included on the electronic form).
- Name of program to which the proposal is directed.
- Name and full physical, institutional mailing address of the
proposing Principal Investigator, telephone and facsimile numbers, and
- An open block for the PI signature and date on the printed hard copy.
- Full, descriptive title of proposed investigation.
- NASA Grant or Contract Number of any current NASA award that the PI holds that is a logical predecessor of the newly proposed work.
- Names, institutional affiliations, and E-mail addresses of all
Co-Investigators (note: all listed Co-I's must also be functionally
identified in the proposal).
- The physical mailing address, telephone number, and E-mail address of the office of sponsored programs at the proposing institution.
- Institutional endorsement, including the name and title of the Authorizing Official, name of proposing institution, and, for the hard copy submitted with
proposal, a signature and date.
- Designation of the type of institution per the definitions in Section 1.2 above.
- A "Yes/No" indication whether an E/PO proposal is also submitted.
- The proposed costs both by year and for the total proposed period of performance.
A block of space (about one page in length) will be provided in the
electronic Cover Page/Proposal Summary form for a
self-contained Proposal Summary of the proposed
research activity. The Summary is intended to provide
background and perspective to the interested reader and, therefore,
should include the following key information:
- A description of the key, central objectives of the proposed research in terms sufficient for a nonspecialist not familiar with the document to grasp
its essence and a statement of methods proposed to accomplish those
- The perceived significance of the proposed work to NASA OSS interests;
- If the proposed research is continuation of work performed under a previous NASA award, a statement of accomplishments and citations to key published or
in-press articles derived from that award; and
- If the proposal contains a Education/Public Outreach proposal, a two or three sentence summary of the intended activity.
*[Direct Quote from NRA 98-OSS-05]