The corona mode consists of data products from the different processing level collections (raw, calibrated, processed, derived) covering coronal scans of the extended Martian atmosphere during the side segments of the MAVEN orbit when IUVS has pointing priority. From orbit to orbit when IUVS has priority, it alternates between the low spectral resolution coronal scan mode and the echelle mode. The coronal scans have three distinct components: scanning while outbound above the Martian limb, inbound above the limb, and inbound below the limb (when the planet intersects instrument line-of-sight projected backward).
Software Interface Specification (SIS)
- Description of the instrument and data structures
- The files will contain both images and tables. Many fields are direct unconverted copies of telemetry produced by the instrument. The units for such fields, data numbers (DN), may represent ADC counts, encoder steps, discrete time intervals, and so on. See the SIS
section 6.1.1.Table 18: Raw data file structure.
- The files are similar in structure to the raw products but the data have been translated from DN to spectral radiance in units of kilorayleighs/nm. Estimates of uncertainty have been added. See the SIS
section 6.1.2 Table 19: Calibrated data file structure.
are calibrated data that have been reduced by isolating emission features and implementing spatial binning to facilitate processing. See the SIS
section 6.1.3 Table 21: Corona processed data file structure.
Derived Data Caveats
& Data files
- IUVS derived data files vary among observation modes. They contain derived densities and column abundances at the native geometry of the observation and/or on a regular grid in altitude or latitude and longitude, as appropriate. See the SIS
section 6.1.4 Table 28: Corona derived data file structure.
The MAVEN/IUVS data are in FITS format with detached XML labels
(Need to acquire a FITS reader
Selected data can be retrieved in 2 ways
Downloading annual collections of data
1) Downloading an index, selecting components and uploading your selection.
Indices that tabulate information associated with each product are available. The associated geometry is for the subspacecraft point and for the time of the midpoint of the observation.
a. Select your index
) No data after 2016-07-30
) Note the caveats
No data after 2016-07-30
b. Sort and make your selection
c. Upload the URN values from your revised index (note the total uncompressed file size before requesting)
2) Selecting specific parameters and requesting limited data files
(838 MB) 2014 processed
(7.8 MB) 2014 derived
(4.3 GB) 2015 processed
(28.2 MB) 2015 derived
(6.7 GB) 2016 processed
(13.1 MB) 2016 derived
is included in the complete collection.
Citing Data Sets for Publications
Use of calibrated data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Calibrated-level Data Product Bundle,
Use of processed data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Processed-level Data Product Bundle,
Use of derived data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Derived-level Data Product Bundle,