The Limb mode consists of data products from the different processing level collections (raw, calibrated, processed, derived). The limb data mode contains data products for limb scan observations of the Martian thermosphere. Each limb scan is composed of multiple integrations. At periapsis there are twelve vertical limb scan profiles during orbits where IUVS has pointing priority. An additional limb scan is obtained during the outbound side segment of the MAVEN orbit. Each limb scan aims to include the range of 100-200 km, with a vertical resolution of at least 4 km.
Software Interface Specification (SIS)
- Description of the instrument and data structures
Raw Data - Maven/IUVS raw FITS files will contain both images and tables. Many fields are direct unconverted copies of telemetry produced by the instrument. The units for such fields, data numbers (DN), may represent ADC counts, encoder steps, discrete time intervals, and so on. See the SIS
section 6.1.1.Table 18: Raw data file structure.
- The data files are similar in structure to the raw products but they are expressed as spectral radiance in units of kilorayleighs/nm. Estimates of uncertainty are included. See the SIS
section 6.1.2 Table 19: Calibrated data file structure.
Processed data are stored as FITS files with detached XML labels and are calibrated data that have been reduced by isolating emission features and implementing spacial binning to facilitate processing. See the SIS
section 6.1.3 Table 20: Limb processed data file structure.
& Data files
- IUVS derived data files vary among observation modes. They are stored as FITS files with detached XML labels and contain derived densities and column abundances at the native geometry of the observation and/or on a regular grid in altitude or latitude and longitude, as appropriate. See the SIS
section 6.1.4 Table 25: Limb derived data file structure.
The MAVEN/IUVS data are in FITS format with detached XML labels
(Need to acquire a FITS reader
Selected data can be retrieved in 2 ways
Downloading annual collections of data
1) Downloading an index, selecting components and uploading your selection.
Indices that tabulate information associated with each product are available. The associated geometry is for the subspacecraft point and for the time of the midpoint of the observation.
a. Select your index
b. Sort and make your selection
c. Upload the URN values from your revised index (note the total uncompressed file size before requesting)
2) Selecting specific parameters and requesting limited data files
(2 GB) 2014 processed
(429 MB) 2014 derived
(18.0 GB) 2015 processed
(6.2 GB) 2015 derived
(45.6 GB) 2016 processed
(18.6 GB) 2016 derived
(52.8 GB) 2017 processed
(22.4 GB) 2017 derived
(53.5 GB) 2018 processed
(12.2 GB) 2018 derived
(77.1 GB) 2019 processed
(11.0 GB) 2019 derived
(59.1 GB) 2020 processed
(15.2 GB)) 2020 derived
is included in the complete collection.
Citing Data Sets for Publications
Use of calibrated data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Calibrated-level Data Product Bundle,
Use of processed data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Processed-level Data Product Bundle,
Use of derived data
Schneider, N. et al., MAVEN IUVS Derived-level Data Product Bundle,